First class faith based department that ensures the flowering of human capacities in Nigeria and the world at large.
The mission of the Department of Biochemistry is to provide the highest quality of scholarship to students through the integration of theoretical and qualitative scientific investigation towards the exploration and understanding of the chemical basis of life processes.
The Department through the integration of theoretical, experimental, and practical science is committed to the following objectives:
- to develop in students, skills and attitudes that are relevant to the study and practice of science such as accuracy and precision, objectivity, integrity, inquiry, initiative and insight;
- to promote the awareness that the study and practice of science are cooperative and cumulative activities which are subject to social, economic, ethical and cultural influences and limitations;
- to provide students with a broad and balanced foundation of biochemical knowledge and practical skills that are of value in biochemical and non-biochemical employment;
- to conduct ground breaking researches in the fields of Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, Nutrition, Drug Discovery and Phytomedicine;
- to train our students to be self-reliant and future employers of labour in service delivery and professional development;
- to provide students with knowledge and skills base from which they can proceed to further studies in specialized areas of biochemistry or multi-disciplinary areas involving biochemistry;
- to generate in students an appreciation of the importance of biochemistry in industrial, economic, environmental, technological and social development;
- to promote the awareness that the application of biochemical knowledge may be both beneficial and detrimental to the individual, the society and the environment and therefore, encourage efficient and safe practice of biochemistry;
- to direct the minds of students to the source of all true mission and knowledge – Jesus Christ – in consonance with the role of SDA higher education in both our union and division.
In line with global technological advancement and the need for sustainable national development, the biochemistry program at Babcock University seeks to train students with attraction towards self-reliance while inculcating in them employable high skills required in pure and applied disciplines of human and veterinary medicine, pharmaceutics, food and nutrition, relevant industrial productions and environmental safety and management. With God, as the centre of this noble conception, there is no doubt that resourceful and God fearing graduates, who will be the source of happiness to humanity, shall be our products.